June 16, 2016 Â Here in Canada we don’t get enough of those days where you just want to sit outside and admire your patio. With warmer temperatures and bright blue skies only lasting for a few months, I got inspired to put together my favourite outdoor decor looks. These looks are perfect if you’re planning to eat, entertain or just lounge and get into a good book. It is all about how to turn bland into chic this summer!Â Lets get started.
1. To start off simple, lets’ begin with adding some colour.Â Adding colour to the outdoors is just what your patio may need, a pop of colour makes for a vibrant and bold terrace. To accomplish this try adding colours like tangerine or fuchsia and modern prints like ikat, stripes and eye popping florals. See below!
2. Another great style to tone it down from the pop of colour, is what I call ‘lounge style.’ This is a lot more relaxed and easy to accomplish. By adding a few items to your porch like plotted plants, a day bed, Chinese lanterns or string lights, you will accomplish a comfortable and stylish space. If you’re on a budget an old vintage table from inside, can always step in as an outdoor coffee table, it’s only for a season right? You can even give it a fresh new look by painting it with chalk paint which is very on trend right now. See below!
3. If you want to be swinging pretty and you have a lot of space in your backyard, another great idea is to set up a swinging seat bench in the corner of a wooden deck; this will help you breeze through those lazy summer days we all have or at least we all aspire to have. There are so many different colours and patterns you can choose for a swing set; match it to your outdoor patio set an you’re good for a summer BBQ. See below!
4. This isn’t for everyone unless you have a covered porch or awning, but this is a good example of bringing the indoors out! Â I fell in love with this black and white ‘solids and stripes’ theme. Adding a tufted ottoman, an assortment of throw pillows and a outdoor rug in the sane neutrals has a very formal but fun vibe going on. And check out the white stone fireplace! Wow!
5. The last idea I have is what I will be adding this summer to my own backyard; a classic fire pit. This brings a sense of camping to your backyard without the actual ‘camping’ part involved, thank goodness because I’m certainly not the greatest at it! We purchased a small rounded fire pit and four Muskoka chairs and hired a landscaping company to create a rounded patio right in front of a new garden shed we have built. We hired someone to add some stepping stones, plant materials and river rock and our backyard will have a new little seating area at the rear of the yard, to hangout and entertain our friends and family. I can’t wait to see how it is going to turn out! I will post some pictures when it is complete!
And it is now complete! Â Nicer than I imagined!!
About Feliciaâ€¦Felicia Gimza is an award-winning Interior Decorator offering custom interior decorating and design in her home town of Oakville and surrounding areas of Mississauga, Burlington and the west end of the GTA. Felicia prides herself in creating rooms for her clients that are not only eye-catching, comfortable and functional, but are completely customized to suit theirÂ own styles.
Author: Taylor Gimza